Wednesday, October 18, 2006

So, you lovely Halifax ladies that knit. I'm looking to make this: http://www.freepatterns.com/fp_pdfs/Other/Knitting/Cats_Paw_Lace_Shawl.pdf

You probably think I'm nuts, but I am sort of that way. So here's my problem. The yarn they used is an Australian mill's yarn, in wool and mohair, and I don't know how to sub in. The pattern says the gauge is 10sts - 10cm on size 10.5 needles. Any of you want to enlighten me as to what this is telling me?

In other news, swatching has been done for a hat in ridiculously colourful yarn (the Mini Mills stuff needs some smaller needles for a decently cozy fabric, so it'll have to wait until I can go swatch for a while at the Loop), and I'm eager to cast on and puzzle over things like k1fb that don't quite make sense to me except when I watch the videos at knitting help. Honestly, how could anyone ever learn that from a book? o_O

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. First, pretty shawl! It is in a worsted weight yarn (your ball label will say 20 sts/4 in), so it won't be torture to knit something that big, and knit on 6.5 mm (US 10 1/2)needles will make it go faster.

Since it is a worsted weight wool/mohair blend...I would suggest Lamb's pride by Brown Sheep (available at Tangled Skeins in Dartmouth in a gazillion colours)

http://brownsheep.com/lp.htm

If you were looking for something slightly fuzzy and handpainted, kid silk 2-ply from fleece artist would work (from LK yarns)

Or, Louet KidLin Mystic from The Loop...

Lamb's Pride is probably your most economical bet, and the colours can't be beat.

Hope that helps!

ps. K1fb just means to knit into the stitch like usual but don't pull the loop off the left needle. Instead, then knit into the SAME stitch on the left needle from the back to front (through the back part of the loop, seems awkward), wrap your yarn around like usual, THEN pull the loop off the left needle. You are knitting into the same stitch twice...

tulokyn said...

You know, you're wonderful. *beams* Now I not only know what I'll be knitting my shawl in, but I also have a solid excuse to go to Tangled Skeins after school tomorrow. I usually take that bus down to school and always look forlornly at its new number when I get off, knowing that it will take me to yarn if I skipped school instead. XD

I'll probably hop on the bus away from home tomorrow and grab me some yummy yarn and some needles and then proceed to puzzle over how I thought Iwas advanced enough to tackle a whole shawl. XD

Thanks much. I love you guys for answering all my questions. <3